Pajhwok Services

SMS News Service

Photo Service

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

MRRD signs contracts for 130 projects in 17 provinces

MRRD signs contracts for 130 projects in 17 provinces

Aug 22, 2017 - 18:51

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development (MRRD) on Tuesday signed contracts to execute 130 projects worth 371 million afghanis in 17 provinces of the country.

The contracts were signed between rural rehabilitation development minister Nasir Ahmad Durani and a number of village council representatives in Kabul.

Durani during the contracts signing ceremony said the 130 projects included construction of canals, dams, retaining walls, bridges and roads that would help a large number of people in their areas.

The schemes would be implemented in Faryab, Samangan, Baghlan, Ghorinfo-icon, Kapisa, Kabul, Laghman, Kunar, Nangarhar, Parwan, Panjsher, Ghazni, Sar-i-Pul, Jawzjan, Badakhshan, Maidan Wardak and Kunduz provinces at a cost of 371.5 million afghanis.

“Farmers will irrigate their farms and collect an increased amount of harvest after implementation of these projects, they will transport their products to market through roads which will be constructed on time,” he said.

The projects would also help generate work opportunities for more than 207,000 people that would help reduce unemployment in rural areas besides benefiting more than 736,000 people, Durani said.

He added that 90 percent of the projects cost would be paid by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the remaining 10 percent by local development councils.

The MRRD would oversee the implementation process of the projects for ensuring quality, he said.

Abdul Jabbar, head of the development council of Qala-i-Ahmad Khan village in Charbolak district of northern Balkh province, said construction of an 80-meter retaining wall was the project given to his area.

More than six acres of farmland in his area was destroyed by floods and the wall would protect 50 acres of farmland once constructed, he said.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment



Twitter Update